Peter Laviña

The ABCs (Activities, Beliefs and Campaigns) of City Councilor Peter Tiu Laviña of Davao City, Philippines. This blog started on March 9, 2006.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Taking part in the 5th Estate

Mydavao featured my blog. Nick Nichols wrote that he is pleased with what he has read so far in my blog. Micketymoc, on the other hand, gave a very helpful advice on managing comments. For someone barely two weeks into blogging, their kindness were truly inspiring.

I emailed a friend in General Santos City to start his own blog. His reply was rather unfortunate – he was not ready; he was not prepared; he needed time to polish his writing.

I disagreed with all these three reasons. I now realized after learning how to blog that anyone can really do it. And we can learn more as we progress. The internet, indeed, is full of potentials and possibilities to communicate.

Proclamation 1081 muzzled the press and cultivated a "culture of silence" during the dark years of martial law. Proclamation 1017 threatened once more our freedom of expression. But with the rise of the 5th Estate in the millions of citizen journalists - bloggers and podcasters - curtailing the flow of information is now next to impossible. Even if cheating, lying and stealing governments kill the golden goose.

News about my privilege speech Tuesday on World Water Day is in the net today.

Inside Renewable Energy” will start with its podcast today. Every week it will feature news and information on renewable energy issues.

I told you so! The invasion of Iraq was an utter mistake. However, not ready to throw in the towel yet, George W. Bush now wants to pass on that decision to pull the troops out to his successor. He probably fancies having the Democrats clean up this Republican mess.

Anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan thanked the internet for exposing the truth about the war in Iraq. Sadly, the spin about the American “liberation” of Baghdad continues.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just a bit of unsolicited advice - the beauty about blogs is, not only do commenters get to respond to your entries, you also get to reply to your commenters using the same comments section.

Blogging is only half-done if you don't get involved in the discussions. And if you don't discuss your work with your readers, you're not giving them very strong reasons to come back.

I don't mean to be snarky, just offering some input. :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Gelo said...

Dear friend,

You are not being snarky; you are, truth to tell, very helpful.

Daghang salamat for your advice. I need more of this comment to learn the many tricks available for bloggers.

I am not even sure if I am doing this right in writing this reply here.

What the heck, no try, no luck; no pain, no glory.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, exactly, you're doing it right! A blog isn't just a one-way conversation - if a discussion starts around something you wrote, you should also add your own comments to defend your position/acknowledge their POV/explain your position further.

The best blogs out there have a regular readership who aren't afraid to make their voices heard; this usually happens when the blog owner him/herself is outspoken and also gets involved in the discussions.

I hope more discussions will begin to flourish here. I for one am going to keep dropping by. Thanks! :)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Gelo said...

Thanks a lot again,

Please do drop by always.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Gelo said...

I realized I can update my post, so I included you in my Taking part in the 5th Estate.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Gelo said...

Daghang salamat Gari.
I will check edzek later.
I would very much like to change my comment box and add other features for my blog. Problem - I really don't know how. I need to experiment pa and learn a lot. I would welcome all advice.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, you better learn fast - napansin na ang blog mo ni Manolo Quezon. He usually links to blogs that have something interesting to say, and I am confident that you won't disappoint. :-)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Gelo said...

Yup, I sent Manolo Quezon a thank you comment when I learned he visited and mentioned my site in his blog. He is really influential. I noticed from my sitemeter that many visited my blog from his blog's referrals.
Yehey!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gari, that's true, but endorsements like that also serve a purpose: you suddenly have a greater audience that gets to read, and better yet, discuss your points of view. Personally, I feel my blog entries are worthless until somebody comes in to offer his/her point of view, kahit disagree with me, OK lang. That for me is the beauty of the blogosphere - you get to be judged more by your ideas than by your personality. :-)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Gelo said...

Daghang salamat gari and micketymoc for your comments. I have expanded my "blogosphere" when I joined a forum of dedicated Davaoenos. Check it out at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=326322&page=1&pp=20

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home